McAULEY HOUSE FAVORITES
The Healing Foods Project and its materials are available from our nonprofit to yours. It is part of the mission of McAuley Ministries to better the lives of the poor and hungry. Through Healing Foods, we are ready to engage in discussions with those who want to implement the program at their meal site.
Hunger & Poverty Facts
• 150,000 Rhode Islanders (14.3%) live in poverty.
• 17.4 million Households struggle to put food on the table.
• 1 in 7 Rhode Islanders are food insecure.
• Children from low-income households are two times more likely to be obese than children from higher income households.
• Those living in poverty have a 40% chance of developing type 2 diabetes.
HEALING FOODS PROJECT GOALS
• Provide nutrition information that gives meal site guests a healthy foundation.
• Deliver healthy recipes with ingredients that are affordable, high in nutrients, and filling.
• Help meal site guests stretch their food budgets while improving the dietary quality of their food purchases.
• Make recipes, nutritional outcomes, and practices available to other meal sites and congregate meal settings to help improve the lives of even more people.
THE HFP STORY
Understanding the Connections: Food Insecurity and Obesity
Food Research & Action Center (FRAC), October 2015
This brief investigates what the research says about food insecurity and obesity and explores why food insecurity and obesity can exist.
Food insecure and low-income people can be especially vulnerable to obesity because of the unique challenges they often face in adopting and maintaining healthful behaviors, including:
· Limited resources
· Lack of access to healthy, affordable foods
· Cycles of food deprivation and overeating
· High levels of stress, anxiety, and depression
· Fewer opportunities for physical activity
· Greater exposure to marketing of obesity-promoting products
· Limited access to health care
About HEALING FOODS
The Healing Foods Project and its materials are available fro our nonprofit to yours. It is part of the mission of McAuley Ministries to better the lives of the poor and hungry. Through Healing Foods, we are ready to engage in discussions with those who want to implement the program at their meal site. McAuley Ministries is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.